Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18



The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

Sometimes the walkers seemed deliberately to bring hardship upon themselves, or was it an extra challenge? Commando weekends were organised. No one brought a pack but some wore American air-crew jackets. The capacious pockets were originally made for armour plates and now were stuffed with food.

Fay also remembers another Tali Karng trip on which Emil Slade brought his marvellous new air-bed - even though he'd forgotten his sleeping bag! It rained for three days and the group was holed up in Guys Hut, together with some cattlemen. Every now and then someone would check on the rain. No! still more rain. There was lots of conversation to pass the time. At last the sun came out. Fay remembers humming `After the Storm' from Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony as she left the hut. They went up Bryces Gorge and walked 27 kilometres on the last day out from Crooked River to Dargo.

Mighty trips around the Alps, Licola, Howitt and the Bogong High Plains were undertaken. Edna Richards remembers staying at the Wonnangatta Homestead so many times that it was almost like home. The cattlemen were using it as a base. There was much support from the cattlemen and their families and the friendships made then have lasted a lifetime. Edna and Norm still attend important events of these families.

Hotham was a `resort' even then, with the Hotham Chalet and Diamantina Hut. Rocky Valley Creek is under water now, but then it had over it a wonderful bridge made of intertwining boughs. Built by Joe Holston, a Norwegian working for the SEC, it was called the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and was a local landmark. Once Edna Richards and her

Walking party near the end of a trip from Licola to Mansfield
The entire party near the end of a trip from Licola to Mansfield via Mt Skene, Mt McDonald, Mt Clear, The Bluff and the Howqua River, taken at a forestry camp above Fry's Homestead, Howqua River, January 1949:
Norm Richards, Geoff Christensen, Warren Olle, Jack Smith, Gordon Coutts
Norm Richards collection