Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

to become an exclusively athletic club. A motion was put forward at a monthly Club meeting to amend the constitution and make the Club mainly for weekend walkers. This motion was never carried. Too many members were happy about the blend of people; it was a very friendly club. A lot of people saw it as an asset to have overseas visitors, although as time went on the majority of members were Australians. But the rumblings went on. Then in 1948 a small group of hard weekend walkers up and left to form the Victorian Mountain Tramping Club. This was a great blow to those who were striving to keep everyone together. It didn't help that the first walks programme produced by the VMTC was exactly the same as that of the MBW. It nearly broke the President Norm Richards's heart. But within a year the Club gathered the momentum it had had before.

The end of the decade: more beginnings

Two major events in 1949 were to have long-lasting effects for the MBW. One was very much planned, one was not.

The Walk magazine was one of Norm Richards's babies. He worked long and hard on it, initially coercing and cajoling members to write articles and when all else failed writing some himself. Editing was a problem too. A lot of members had perfectly good spoken English, but with the German speakers writing was another matter. Much had to be almost rewritten. But Norm was determined, and with the help of others got out this first issue, which was to start a tradition that lasted 38 years.

The other event was the search on Wilsons Promontory in May for Alfred Howie. Six Club members were involved. Although many others were there too, Alfred Howie was never found. A police report praised



'With the ceasing of hostilities we hope to be able to get more films so that the camera will once more be an "essential" on walks (what! another pound and a half to carry)! We ask members to loan the negatives of any snaps of interest to the Club so that we can put a copy in our album.'

'Speaking of our Friday evening gatherings, we remind you to bring something to eat for supper, and when your ration permits, a donation of sugar. Coffee only is provided by the room rent.'

Summer and autumn walks programmes, 1946