Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18



The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

included the Snowy Plains Road, which made Tali Karng and Mt Howitt more accessible for weekend walking, and the Suggan Buggan - Jindabyne Road.

On its 21st birthday in 1961 the Club received the traditional key of the door in this case of Wilkinson Lodge. The Lodge, made accessible by SEC roads, was to provide a base for new activities such as High Plains walking and ski trips.

A track-clearing weekend in Ada Valley in the Powelltown area in June 1961 proved to be an exercise in ingenuity when it was discovered by the group cooks that the food for the communal evening meal was missing. Packs were raided in the clearers' absence for whatever food could be found - mainly rice and packet soups. A 'goulash' of sorts was made by the cooks and, just as it was served, two latecomers arrived bearing sausages, potatoes, peas and onions. Hence a large lunch was served the next day.

An eventful snow walk with added elements of snow-camping and mountaineering was led by John Brownlie in July 1961. Nine Melbourne Bushwalkers climbed the spectacular snow-covered ridge between Mt Timbertop and Mt Buller. This required cutting steps with an ice-axe - a new experience for all except the leader and Merv Scott who had climbed in the New Zealand Alps. A blizzard blew up that night and no one slept much, some tents collapsing. Next morning, with the blizzard still raging, the party descended into the Howqua Valley and crossed the flooded river. They tramped along the flat and climbed back

Track-clearing weekend, Mt Whitelaw, 1963.
Track-clearing weekend, Mt Whitelaw, 1963. In the foreground are Robert Taylor (Fred Halls's nephew) and Max Corry.
Darrell Sullivan