Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

of mixed sexes was under the supervision of Mr Arthur Whyte and comprised particularly good types of young people . . . These trips are organised on most holiday weekends and are very popular with members of the club. They are properly organised and controlled.'

The Lilydale to Warburton railway line closed in 1965. This, along with closer settlement in the Yarra Valley, reduced the amount of walking done in the area. One of the features of train travel was the Hiker's Return Ticket, which enabled walkers to catch a return train from a different station to their starting point. This idea was not revived until Metrail established its Travelcard system in the late eighties.

There was a large influx of people in 1965 who remained active members for a long time, many to the present day. Among these were Michael Griffin (actually December 1964), Tyrone Thomas, Ed. Lawton, Andy Price, Ann Silva (later Sullivan), Rod Mattingley, Tim Dent, Spencer George, Dave Hespe (rejoined), Alma Strappazon and Art Terry.

One of these tells how, before joining, he obtained a copy of the walks programme to see where the walk was to be held on a particular day. It was to Mt Piper, so he made his way there independently and sat quietly on the top to watch the group pass. From what he saw he decided that they looked decent people, and the Club the type he would like to join. Another member tells how he joined in 1961 after going on a Moomba Day Walk (later called Federation Day Walk). Travelling home in the train, he was impressed by the group of walkers singing all the old folk songs. This was actually the Catholic Walking Club - wrong religion for this observer, and the VMTC (Victorian Mountain Tramping Club) met on Wednesdays, when he had night school, so he joined MBW.

The January 1965 issue of the News predicted 'a pluvial year' and this was well borne out by Rex Filson's Easter trip to Flinders Island. Unfortunately Rex's extensive organisation, including chartering a plane, was somewhat spoiled by almost continuous rain. The group camped in a dry watercourse, which subsequently flooded. Rex, a well-known drought breaker, declared the main town, Whitemark, renamed 'Watermark'. In the same year Fred Halls led a well-attended Easter trip to the Grampians, but did not have quite so much rain.

For some time there had been unrest among several members, especially weekend walkers, who were finding the Committee somewhat conservative in its attitude. For example, some of its members felt that it was unsafe to have activities in the mountains in the winter. A couple of meetings were held in private homes; one in particular became some-thing of a slanging match. Robin Mitchell proposed a new club - the