Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

Bob Steel with chairs scavenged from old SEC work sites near Basalt Hill, circa 1965.









Bob Steel with chairs scavenged from old SEC work sites near Basalt Hill, circa 1965.
Bob Steel

the roof was finished. During this work party the local P.O. delivered a letter to one of the members of the work party - civilisation on the High Plains!

During 1961 and 1962 Gerry Harant spent a great deal of time repairing the plumbing system. The feeder pipe was dug up and the blockage was cleared. The toilet could then be connected, which was done with due ceremony. The pipe for the spring was blocked with a cork to allow drainage of the system. Later a tap was put in the line to allow the water to drain from the lodge.

As the stove was in poor repair an advertisement for another one was placed in the Herald and Weekly Times. A lady in Kensington who was renovating her house replied. She had a model identical to the Wilky stove, so this was purchased and installed. The top of the stove was only 56cm by 40cm (less the area of the flue) and the fire box was quite small; however it proved quite adequate for large parties, with a bit of juggling of saucepans.

In 1963 the first MBW ski party used the lodge. The group of 11 was organised by Stan Mizon and also contained members from other clubs. The green-painted bath was rather battered and worn because, when