Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

originally brought in, it could not be packed on a horse, so was dragged up from Hotham. During the week John Bach, Stan Mizon and Barry Short installed a bath heater much to the delight of the group.

In November 1963 John Bach and Bill Hordern began a heavy programme of renovations. They removed the pantry wall in the kitchen, thus making one room. They then removed the bunkroom wall in the lounge, which very effectively extended the size of that room. The bath and toilet were taken out of the bathroom and concrete floors poured in the bathroom and the boiler room (now the storeroom). In place of the previous bathroom, a separate shower and toilet were built. John Bach had obtained a kerosene-operated hot-water service, which was installed in the boiler room. A radiator was also installed there to provide a drying room. A hand basin was fitted in the entrance hall. This programme continued over summer and included painting the lodge. Debate took place over the colour scheme - whether to go for inconspicuous privacy or brightness and safety. Safety won the day and Wilky thus gained a silver roof and orange walls, with green and white trim. I specially prepared the orange in the laboratories of BALM paints (now Dulux) to withstand the harsh conditions. The work parties threw out the old camp stretchers and blankets inherited from the SCV.

The start of 1965 saw a party gathering at Wilkinson preparing for a trip over Bogong, but this never eventuated as it became evident that the septic tank had to be repaired. In the course of their exploratory digging, Darrell Sullivan and Ken Sharpe discovered that the pit was

Wilky, circa 1964.
Wilky, circa 1964.
Fred Halls