Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

manhandled from the trailer into the kitchen. A base for a new stove alcove was prepared using rocks and concrete, the sand for the concrete being shovelled from the aqueduct. It took several work parties over summer 1968-69 to build the alcove, get the stove into place, build the chimney, install the hot-water tank and completely re-plumb the lodge. On 15 February 1969 the new stove was lit and, with showers all round, declared a success. The open fireplace was made much larger and a concrete hearth was installed. The window in the gable end above the stove alcove was fitted with a lock at this time, to enable access in heavy snow conditions.

A Warmray heater was obtained by John Brownlie and installed in the lounge room in the middle of the north wall, to allow the open fire to be used as well. It was found to take up too much space in this position, so was removed and installed in the open fireplace - a good fuel-conserving measure. Late in 1969 Peter Carlyon fitted the bench seat along the north wall.

Work parties in 1970 reworked the hot-water service plumbing - an ongoing saga. Many groups commented on having troubles with the plumbing, others were not bothered. As cattle had been making a mess in the spring, the SEC was approached by the Club, and given permission for a fence to be erected around our lease area. During Easter, under Merv Scott's direction, a fence was built around Wilky and the spring, and fitted with a sliprail gate. In later years it was found that horse-riding parties were using this as a convenient yard while camping at Wallaces Hut, so a locking chain was included with the sliprails.

Slowly Wilky became more popular. It was used by three winter parties in 1970 and Christmas to New Year 1970-71 saw the start of the Mascas family's regular Christmas visits, with 110 visitor nights recorded from 25 December to 10 January in that period. In 1970, up to 13 December, there had been 93 different visitors staying at Wilky.

Painting had been one of the time-consuming chores of Wilky and, as the external orange paint began to flake, it was decided to clad Wilky with colour-bond steel cladding. To raise money for this, vouchers for using Wilky were sold to members. Work began on cladding with the fawn-coloured sheeting on Australia Day weekend 1971; Peter Carlyon, Rod Mattingley and Geoff Kenafacke slaved over the job. The entrance alcove and boiler room were left in corrugated iron and painted a matching colour. The boiler room, long having lost the hot-water service, finally became a locker room when mouse-proof lockers were built in February 1972. This had a great tidying effect, clearing the lodge of various trunks and crates that previously had been used for storing