Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

course (some people even left traps set on their departure so that the next party was likely to discover a pool of evil-smelling jelly). Some members began to query the nature of the rats and David Hespe, using Elliott traps, showed that these were either antichinus or native rats, so the rat-traps were disposed of and members took more care not to leave food scraps to attract the animals.

With the declaration of the National Park the Club's position in regard to Wilky changed. Instead of dealing with the requirements of the SEC, it became necessary to deal with those of the National Park. The Alpine Planning Project required that an emergency shelter be provided, so Mick Mann arranged an on-site meeting with rangers and planners to discuss this. Hugh Duncan drew up a plan to extend Wilky and thus incorporate a shelter, but this was rejected. Ultimately the National Park Service agreed to our building a new woodshed, with the entrance hall storage area becoming the emergency shelter. Once again Ken MacMahon took the matter in hand and prefabricated a treated-pine woodshed, which was taken up and erected in January 1990.

The Warmray heater, having given many years good service, was finally pensioned off and a new Maxiheat installed in 1988.

During the work party of Australia Day 1989 Bob Steel and Rob Ayre visited the Rover Lodge to find that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had inspected both the Rover and Wilky septic systems. The Rovers were required to carry out extensive modifications to their septic system. In March the Club organised that the septic tank be pumped out as a temporary solution and a new enlarged system be built after the ski season. However, just before the first parties were due to go in, the Club received an EPA directive requiring the connection of a pipe to our septic outflow taking all waste to a point below the aqueduct, to flow down to Middle Creek. Apparently we were being blamed for the bad water pollution at Falls Creek. The EPA solution was patently ludicrous on many points so, after many fruitless discussions with the EPA, the Ombudsman was approached. Eventually the EPA allowed the Club to continue using Wilky during that winter on condition that the septic system was not used and a chemical toilet was installed. The Porta Potty was brought in by a sled towed alternately by Trevor Brooks and Barbara Day, an heroic effort as the top-heavy sled overturned every few hundred metres in the soft snow. It seemed a little odd to members that we were required to empty the chemical toilet into a pit dug near Wilky.

During this winter one week was officially allotted to the Maroondah Bushwalkers.

After a false start due to had weather, eventually in February 1990 all