Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Start
Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Photogallery
Archive
1940-99


Walk
Magazine
Archive
1949-87


Newsletter
Archive
1949-
The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

conditions were right for the new septic tank to be installed. The huge 3-tonne tank was brought down on a trailer and a tip-truck dropped 6 cubic metres of screenings for backfilling. A back-hoe was used to dig the hole, and the dispersal lines dug after the new tank had been lowered in. All the spoil was put on plastic sheeting to protect the vegetation. The contents of the old tank were pumped into the new tank, then the old tank was smashed and backfilled. The dispersal lines were backfilled with screenings, then the soil was put back and the site made good. Covering the shrubs with plastic meant that the site was clean and damage minimal, which impressed the National Park staff. A heavy down-pour made the final shovelling of backfill a very heavy and cold task.

Two weeks later Sue Forrester and her mother, Gwynnyth Taylor, on her first visit for 20 years, planted some 67 plants that I had propagated from material gathered at Wilky especially for revegetation.

Finally in March 1990 Jill and Graham Breen, Dave Hespe and Rod Mattingley built the emergency shelter required by the National Park plan.

During Easter 1990 Martin Pocock explored the area and noted that Joe Holston's hut, below the aqueduct, and the Wilky tennis court were still easy to find, but that Martin Romuld's ski jump on the hill above the lodge had all but disappeared. (Joe and Martin were SEC employees living on the High Plains until 1941 and 1942, respectively, Martin Romuld at Wilky.)

In winter 1990, two of the eleven parties using the lodge were outside groups, Maroondah Bushwalkers and VMTC; each had a week. A member of the VMTC group suffered a bad injury when she fell off the aqueduct bridge on the way in, gashing her eye. A Search and Rescue skidoo was called and she was taken to hospital for stitches. Winter groups in 1991 included the Bayside Bushwalkers; three outside groups used Wilky that year.

Graeme Thornton, as Lodge Manager, introduced a new winter rubbish scheme that required all groups to remove their own rubbish. This meant that the first people in after winter did not have to remove bags of rubbish accumulated over winter. He also decided that briquettes were not to be used, as the disposal of ash was a problem; the only fuel should be wood. With a new large woodshed this policy did not present any problem. Wood ash was collected in drums and disposed of away from the National Park.

In 1991 Wilky was painted an environmentally-friendly shade of green at the National Parks Service's suggestion. The roof had been looking somewhat the worse for wear for some time and, on Australia