Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18



The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

Denis Barson.
Denis Barson. Taken on a trip in the Grampians in the Mt William - Major Mitchell Plateau area, May 1972.
Helen Dent

those years of driving for the Club. Of the many wonderful areas that Denis visited, the Grampians and Wilsons Prom are his favourites.

Denis's involvement with the Melbourne Bushwalkers started in 1952 when he commenced work with Gronow's furniture removal business after completing his national service. Jumping at the opportunity to earn overtime, Denis accepted the weekend van driving for the Club. The Club stopped hiring a Gronow's van in February 1979. Then Denis drove a Quince's mini-bus before the Club decided to hire a van from Jack Baxter. In 1984 the Club purchased a van from Jack Baxter and continued to employ Denis to drive it. Regrettably illness forced Denis to stop driving for the Club in late 1989. His last trip was Sylvia Wilson's walk to Hughes Creek.

Denis's latest return to Melbourne was in 1974 when Tim Dent led a weekend trip to Tyers Junction in the Baw Baws. On the Sunday the group was greatly delayed due to difficult walking terrain. Denis waited for the party and built a large fire that helped guide the group back to the van in the dark. The party didn't get back to the van until 10.00 p.m. and subsequently reached Melbourne at 1.00 a.m. This incident