Bostock Reservoir header extension
 Home Page  Membership Walk & Camp Other Events    Program    Photogallery Downloads FAQs
Home Page About Us A Photographic History History 1940-1990
Membership Process Frequent Questions Location Maps Newsletters Library Holdings BWV Discounts Members Area
Other Events Overview Training Conservation Social
Photogallery Photo Archives Photo Submission Guide
General Downloads Walk magazine 1949-87 Newsletter Archive
Frequent Questions
Activities Program Notices of Coming Events Participant Responsibilities Trip Note Archive
Walk & Camp Overview Tips for New Bushwalkers Bus Walks with Melbourne Bushwalkers Overnight Bushwalking Basic Navigation Skills Equipment Hire Safety Guidelines Courtesy Guidelines Helpful Links
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18



The Melbourne Bushies - Fifty years along the track (1940-90)

memorable walk was a five-day backpack around the beautiful lakes and wonderful rainforest of Fraser Island in Queensland. Other favourite areas are Mt Feathertop, Wilsons Prom and the Grampians.


I joined the Melbourne Bushwalkers in 1965. My first walk with the Club was a weekend trip from Fernshaw via Mt St Leonard to Healesville. For 27 years I have walked frequently with the Club on Sunday walks and weekend and extended trips. I have led numerous walks - over 115; my first was in September 1966, a weekend trip from Tallarook to Mt Marianne and Yea.

Other activities that have been very much a part of my life in the Club are the Broadford to Yea marathon and bike rides (see pages 108-13). Weekend walks by train from the railway station of Broadford to that of Yea gave me the idea to run the marathon; the 50-kilometer trip between the two stations is completed in about six hours. Over the years I have also enjoyed leading many Club bike rides.

I have led track-clearing weekends in the Ada Valley. Club members cleared some of the thick undergrowth that hid the remains of timber tramlines.

Since 1985 I have led a yearly weekend to Cape Schank National Park, staying at the former Highfield homestead. There are long walks in the bush and along ocean cliffs, surfing and swimming in rock pools.

I have contributed articles to Walk magazine, including 'Bicycle Touring or Sit Down Running' in Walk 1980 and 'Pedal Power' in Walk 1985. I was on the general Committee during 1969, 1972 and 1981.


I joined the club in 1972 it was not a straightforward process. The first two or three visits to the congested clubrooms in Hosier Lane seemed to always coincide with either an Annual General meeting or half-yearly General Meeting. This would put me off for another six months, just in time for the next meeting.

My first trip was a day walk with Graham Mascas somewhere around Kinglake. It was magnificent, rained most of the day and we had to climb a quarry-like wall in the slippery mud. It was quite exciting really. I wondered, if the day walks were so entertaining, then what were the weekend walks like? Even better I found. My second walk was a pack carry down to the South Point at Wilsons Prom with Art Terry. I can