The club has individual items available for hire to assist members new to overnight trips experience the pleasures of being "in the wild" before committing to expensive purchases.
Membership of the Melbourne Bushwalkers also entitles you to the Bushwalking Victoria Member's Discounts on equipment and travel purchases.
Select a Category from the list below:
Conditions of Hire
Our equipment is only available for use on club activities. It may be booked at the club rooms on any club meeting night by filling out the equipment hire book. Before booking please ensure that the items have not been already booked for the time slot you require.
Collection and Return
Unless otherwise arranged equipment is to be collected from the club rooms on the last meeting night prior to use and returned on the first meeting night after use.
- No deposit is charged but the full hire fee must be paid on collection.
- Equipment is to be checked out and in and the fees collected by one of the members on duty or the Equipment Officer.
- Fees are not refundable unless the equipment is unsuitable for use.
- Temporary members will need to provide some form of identification and a phone number.
- If the equipment cannot be returned on time please contact the Equipment Officer at the earliest opportunity.
- Equipment returned after the original return date or agreed extension will incur an additional charge.
Use and Care of Equipment
Bush walking equipment is expensive and easily damaged. Please take care of it and follow any instructions provided.
- Don’t drop, drag or sit on it, avoid contaminating it with fuels, sunscreens, soil, etc. and keep it away from fires and anything sharp or abrasive.
- Look after tent floors by clearing sharp objects from beneath them and removing footwear when inside the tent.
- Do not pitch a tent near or dry anything over a campfire.
- Do not use a sleeping bag, thermarest or lilo outside the tent and always use a liner and/or a layer of clean clothing to eliminate any direct contact between the sleeping bag and your skin.
- Wash the liner before returning it but do not attempt to clean the bag itself.
- If the bag requires cleaning advise the Equipment Officer.
Otherwise return all gear in a clean dry condition and ensure that any loss, damage, fault or suggestion is recorded under “Comments”. You will not be charged for fair wear and tear but will be expected to pay for the repair or replacement of any item missing or damaged at time of return.